The original Church Street School was opened in 1868, some four years after land had been given for the purpose by the Wentworth family.
Extensions were made in 1870, 1900, 1911 and 1924, and a modernisation scheme in 1955. The school was made very attractive inside, without coming up to the standard of modern buildings. Some of the classrooms were rather small and there were no indoor lavatories!
In 1959 the School became a Junior and Infant School, the numbers being about 350. St. John's School began using the Old Girls' National School in 1944, and two West riding classrooms in 1952. These later were removed and the National School reverted to its own trustees.
Early in the 1950's the West Riding worked out their development plans for schools in this area, and St. John's was found to be inadequate in size for teaching, for playground and sport facilities, and the buildings fell below the new standards. It was decided to build a new school and the managers decided to retain "aided" status and be responsible for the new School. The present KS2 building, was officially opened on the 18th September 1968, by the Bishop of Pontefract, the Right Reverend W. G. Fallows, J.P., D.L.
Although the intention had always been to have one primary school, it soon became apparent that due to an expanding Penistone population and limited space in the new school that a separate infant and junior school site would have to be created.
This led to the creation of two new schools, and in January 1976 a Church of England (Controlled) Infant School was opened in new premises on the west side of what was now the Junior School playing field.
After many years, from the 01st January 2012, the two schools were finally administratively remerged to become a through Primary school from nursery to Year 6.
On leaving this school the children normally transfer to Penistone Grammar ALC originally founded in 1392.